بودكاست التاريخ

تاريخ ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا

تاريخ ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

تم تطوير ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا ، في الأصل بعد أن اشترت شركة استثمارية الأرض على أمل تحويلها إلى عقار مرغوب فيه. تم وضع خطط المجتمع في عام 1870 وأصبحت معتمدة بالكامل عندما قبلت زيادة كبيرة في عدد السكان الخطط بكل سرور ، وكان الكثير من الزيادة في عدد السكان في المنطقة يعتمد على سهولة إنتاج المحاصيل. كان المحصول الذي اختاره المستوطنون الأصليون هو الحمضيات ، مما أحدث طفرة في عدد السكان ، وجلب الناس من جميع أنحاء البلاد لتجربة حظهم. تمتعت صناعة الحمضيات بازدهارها خلال أوائل القرن العشرين واستمرت لسنوات عديدة أخرى. تعتمد المدينة على جانب واحد من نهر سانتا آنا ، والذي كان مصدرًا ممتازًا للمياه بالقرب من المزارع ، وعلى مر السنين ، استمرت ريفرسايد في كونها مركزًا للمحاصيل والصناعات مثل محركات الطائرات والإلكترونيات والسيارات المعدات والمنتجات الورقية والبلاستيكية. هناك العديد من عوامل الجذب في ريفرسايد التي تستحق الزيارة أثناء تواجدها في المنطقة. بعضها يشمل متحف بلدية ريفرسايد ، ومعروضات سكنية وقطع أثرية من التاريخ المحلي ، ومتحف كاليفورنيا للتصوير الفوتوغرافي ، ومنزل التراث ، ومنزل تم ترميمه عام 1891 ، ومتنزه ولاية كاليفورنيا سيتروس التاريخي ، وتعد المدينة موطنًا للعديد من المعالم ، بما في ذلك تم زرع Parent Washington Navel Orange Tree في عام 1873 (واحدة من شجرتين أصليتين للبرتقال في كاليفورنيا) ، ونزل Mission Inn التاريخي ، كما أن ريفرسايد هي موطن للعديد من المؤسسات التعليمية الجيدة للتعليم العالي ، بدءًا من كليات المجتمع وحتى الجامعات الكاملة. تشمل المدارس الرئيسية في المنطقة جامعة لا سييرا (1922) ، وكلية كاليفورنيا بابتيست (1950) ، وجامعة كاليفورنيا - ريفرسايد (1954).


ريفرسايد

سيراجع محررونا ما قدمته ويحددون ما إذا كان ينبغي مراجعة المقالة أم لا.

ريفرسايد، المدينة ، المقعد (1893) من مقاطعة ريفرسايد ، جنوب كاليفورنيا ، الولايات المتحدة. تقع المدينة على نهر سانتا آنا. مع سان برناردينو وأونتاريو ، تشكل مجمعًا حضريًا شرق لوس أنجلوس. تم إنشاء المدينة في عام 1870 جزئيًا على جزء من رانشو جوروبا ، منحة أرض مكسيكية عام 1838. بدأت المدينة ، التي كانت تسمى في البداية جوروبا ، كمستعمرة لزراعة الحرير. أعيدت تسميتها ريفرسايد ، وتم تطويرها لتصبح مدينة حمضيات ، حيث تمت زراعة أشجار البرتقال السرة الأولى في الولاية ، والتي تم نشرها من قصاصات برازيلية ، هناك في عام 1873.

يشمل اقتصاد ريفرسايد التصنيع والتوزيع والأنشطة التعليمية. يحتوي حرم جامعة ريفرسايد (الذي تأسس عام 1954) بجامعة كاليفورنيا على محطة تجارب الحمضيات. تم إنشاء كلية مجتمع في ريفرسايد في عام 1916 ، والمدينة هي أيضًا مقر جامعة لا سييرا (1922 يوم السبت السابع) وجامعة كاليفورنيا المعمدانية (1950). يضم حرم مدرسة شيرمان الهندية الثانوية (1901) ، وهي واحدة من العديد من المدارس الداخلية التي تديرها حكومة الولايات المتحدة لتشجيع استيعاب الهنود الأمريكيين ، مبنى أصليًا واحدًا يضم متحفًا ، من بين أشياء أخرى ، يحافظ على سجلات المدرسة. قاعدة مارس الجوية الاحتياطية (حتى 1996 مارس قاعدة القوات الجوية) ، مع متحف ميداني يحتوي على طائرات قديمة ، في مكان قريب. تقع حديقة Santa Ana River الإقليمية على الحافة الشمالية للمدينة ، وجنوب المدينة بحيرة ماثيوز. يعد جبل روبيدو (1399 قدمًا [426 مترًا]) موقعًا شهيرًا لتسلق الصخور. تشتمل معالم الجذب الترفيهية الأخرى في المنطقة على منطقة Lake Perris State Recreation Area و Mockingbird Canyon و Sycamore Canyon Park. مدينة إنك ، 1883. بوب. (2000) 255،166 منطقة مترو ريفرسايد - سان برناردينو - أونتاريو ، 3،254،821 (2010) 303،871 منطقة مترو ريفرسايد - سان برناردينو - أونتاريو ، 4،224،851.

تمت مراجعة هذه المقالة وتحديثها مؤخرًا بواسطة Amy Tikkanen ، مدير التصحيحات.


البرتقال والري

حوالي عام 1875 تم إحضار شجرة برتقال برازيلية متحولة تنتج ثمارًا بدون بذور إلى المدينة. في التربة الغنية بجانب نهر سانتا آنا ، ازدهرت الفاكهة تحت أشعة الشمس الوفيرة. بحلول عام 1887 ، أصبح برتقال السرة هو المحصول السائد في ريفرسايد ومدن أخرى في كاليفورنيا.

في نفس الوقت تقريبًا ، وبمساعدة مالية من أشخاص من إنجلترا ، بدأ ماثيو غيج ، وهو مهاجر من كندا ، العمل في قناة لجلب المياه إلى جميع أنحاء ريفرسايد ، التي لا تتوفر مياه في أجزاء منها. مع الري الذي أصبح ممكنًا بواسطة قناة Gage & # x0027s ، بدأت أكبر فترة نمو في Riverside & # x0027s. تم تطوير ثلاثة أقسام فرعية جديدة & # x2014White & # x0027s Addition و Hall & # x0027s Addition و Arlington Heights & # x2014.

تم قطع أشواط اقتصادية في ثمانينيات القرن التاسع عشر عندما انضم عدد من مزارعي الفاكهة المحليين معًا لقطف الفاكهة وبيعها تحت اسم علامة تجارية واحد يمكنهم استخدامه جميعًا ، وتصنيف برتقالهم من حيث الجودة. توسعت الخطة وبحلول عام 1893 تم تشكيل مجموعة من جميع مزارعي كاليفورنيا تحت اسم تبادل الفاكهة في جنوب كاليفورنيا ، المعروف الآن باسم Sunkist. أدى تطوير عربات السكك الحديدية المبردة وأنظمة الري المبتكرة إلى إنشاء ريفرسايد كأغنى مدينة في الولاية و # x0027s للفرد بحلول عام 1895.

في عام 1873 ، انتقل جيمس رو ، وهو تاجر مخدرات ومعلم ، إلى المدينة وبحلول أواخر سبعينيات القرن التاسع عشر كان قد أطلق مطبعة ريفرسايد صحيفة أسبوعية أصبحت فيما بعد المطبوعة اليومية الحالية ، المؤسسة الصحفية.


تاريخ ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا

ساعد التاريخ الفريد في ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا & # 8217s في تشكيل صناعة الحمضيات بأكملها في كاليفورنيا و # 8217. تم بناء العديد من المجتمعات المحيطة ريفرسايد على مزارع سابقة ، وهو ما حدث في ريفرسايد. ومع ذلك ، عندما وصل جون نورث وبعض المستوطنين الآخرين إلى ريفرسايد ، جلبوا معهم الكثير من التقاليد الثقافية الشرقية.

Riverside California Mexican Insurance & # 8211 mexinsurance.com

أسسوا ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا في عام 1870 ، وأنشأوا ملعب بولو وملعب جولف هناك. لم يتم العثور على هذه الأنواع من المراكز الترفيهية في جنوب كاليفورنيا سابقًا ، لكن هؤلاء المستوطنين تمكنوا بسرعة من تغيير المنطقة لحظة وصولهم. وبدأوا أيضًا في زراعة أشجار البرتقال محليًا بعد عام واحد فقط.

لقد استغرق الأمر عامين فقط حتى تكون هناك صناعة حمضيات مزدهرة في جنوب كاليفورنيا لأول مرة. & # 8217s صحيح أن جنوب كاليفورنيا تتمتع بمناخ مثالي لهذه الأنواع من الفاكهة الاستوائية. ومع ذلك ، لا تحدث جميعها بشكل طبيعي في هذه المنطقة أو في العديد من المناطق الأخرى. في بعض الحالات ، تمكن الأشخاص الذين كانوا على دراية بهم من إحضارهم إلى هناك ، وهذا هو الحال في هذه الحالة. بحلول عام 1882 ، كان أكثر من نصف مليون شجرة حمضيات تنمو في كاليفورنيا.

كان هناك المزيد والمزيد من الطلب على الفواكه والخضروات الطازجة في نهاية القرن التاسع عشر. أصبح خبراء الصحة والطب أكثر بروزًا ، وبدأ الكثير منهم في التأكيد على أهمية تناول الكثير من الفواكه والخضروات الطازجة. في السابق ، كان من الشائع أن يركز الناس في القرن التاسع عشر على تناول المزيد من اللحوم والذرة. لم يكن هناك طلب كبير على الفاكهة ، لأنها كانت عرضة للتلف بسرعة كبيرة. كان من الصعب جدًا تخزينه تقليديًا ، وكان من الأشياء التي لا يستطيع تحملها سوى الأثرياء.

لا يزال الأمر يستغرق بعض الوقت حتى تصبح الفاكهة ميسورة التكلفة كما هي اليوم. ومع ذلك ، فإن التحسينات في تقنية التبريد جعلت من الممكن للأشخاص نقل الفاكهة الطازجة في جميع أنحاء البلاد ، بما في ذلك أنواع الفاكهة الطازجة التي لا يمكن أن تزدهر إلا في مناخ جنوب كاليفورنيا.

جعلت تقنية التبريد أيضًا من الممكن للأشخاص داخل الولايات المتحدة أن يكونوا قادرين على تناول المزيد من الفاكهة الطازجة على أساس منتظم. أدى ذلك إلى زيادة الاهتمام بالبرتقال والحمضيات الأخرى ، مما ساعد على جعل جنوب كاليفورنيا أكثر ازدهارًا بشكل عام. تم تطوير ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا مع قدر كبير من التخطيط المتضمن ، وهو أمر واضح لأي شخص يزوره اليوم.


مدرسة شيرمان الهندية الثانوية من البداية حتى الوقت الحاضر


مدرسة بيريس الهندية

في عام 1890 ، تلقى السيد هوراشيو ن. روست تعليمات من قبل مفوض الشؤون الهندية للعثور على موقع مناسب في جنوب كاليفورنيا لمدرسة هندية. في عام 1892 ، كانت أول مدرسة هندية في جنوب كاليفورنيا تقع في بيريس ، كاليفورنيا. كان عدد الطلاب في المقام الأول من قبائل كاليفورنيا الهندية ، ولكن كان هناك ثمانية طلاب من بيما في الحضور.

في عام 1897 ، أدرك المشرف هاروود هول الحاجة إلى موقع أفضل ، لأن إمدادات المياه في بيريس كانت غير كافية. ناشد السيد هول جيمس سكولكرافت شيرمان ، رئيس الشؤون الهندية في مجلس النواب الأمريكي ونائب رئيس الولايات المتحدة لاحقًا ، للحصول على أموال لبناء مدرسة في منطقة ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا. في 31 مايو 1900 ، أجاز الكونجرس 75000 دولار لبناء معهد شيرمان في موقعه الحالي.

في 18 يوليو 1901 ، تم وضع حجر الأساس لمبنى المدرسة القديم. تم تسمية المدرسة باسم السيد شيرمان الذي كان مسؤولاً عن جعل هذا المشروع حقيقة واقعة. تم الانتهاء من تسعة مبان وتم قبولها رسميًا في مايو 1902. وفي خريف عام 1902 ، تم تشغيل ثمانية صفوف. تمت إضافة برامج الفنون الزراعية والصناعية في وقت لاحق إلى المناهج الدراسية بالمدرسة.

بحلول عام 1908 ، تم تسجيل 550 طالبًا ، باستخدام 34 مبنى. كان برنامج المدرسة الثانوية ساري المفعول ، وكان يتألف من مواد أكاديمية وتدريب صناعي مثل النجارة ، والرسم ، وصناعة الخزائن ، والحدادة السوداء ، وصنع العربات ، ومحلات الأحذية والأدوات ، والخياطة ، والزراعة ، والاقتصاد المنزلي ، والتمريض المنزلي. تم افتتاح "نظام النزهة" في ذلك الوقت.

مزرعة شيرمان التي تبلغ مساحتها 110 فدان ، بالقرب من مجتمع Home Gardens الحالي في Magnolia Ave ، لم تكن فقط ساحة تدريب ، ولكنها أيضًا مصدر غذاء للمدرسة. لم تعد الحكومة تمتلك العقار ، ومع ذلك ، تم تخصيص مساحة صغيرة كمقبرة مدرسية وهي مملوكة للحكومة الأمريكية.

في عام 1909 ، تم تمثيل 43 قبيلة في قوائم المدارس ، ولم يكن الهنود من كاليفورنيا فقط ، ولكن أيضًا من شمال غرب المحيط الهادئ ، والجنوب الغربي ، والسهول. كان التعليم مقصورًا على الصفوف من الأول إلى الثامن في ذلك الوقت. في وقت لاحق ، في عام 1916 ، تم تسجيل التلاميذ في الصفوف من الأول إلى العاشر. بحلول عام 1926 ، قدمت المدرسة منهجًا كاملاً للمرحلة الابتدائية والثانوية ، بالإضافة إلى دورة في التجميل. بلغ عدد الطلاب المسجلين 1000 طالب. تم تسجيل 1،256 في عام 1930 ، وفي عام 1932 أصبحت شيرمان مدرسة ثانوية معتمدة. خلال سنوات الكساد ، من 1930 إلى 1936 ، انخفض الالتحاق. تم دمج هنود كاليفورنيا في المدارس العامة.


الطلاب الهنود في الولايات المتحدة

في عام 1946 ، ضمنت الحاجة الماسة للتعليم بين النافاجو استمرار شيرمان كمؤسسة تعليمية. شهد أكتوبر 1946 افتتاح البرنامج الخاص لـ 350 شابًا من أبناء نافاجو ، تتراوح أعمارهم بين 12 و 20 عامًا ، والذين لم يسبق لهم تجربة أي تعليم رسمي. بحلول عام 1948 ، توقفت برامج المدارس الابتدائية والثانوية العادية. كان البرنامج الخاص قيد التشغيل لأكثر من 15 عامًا. كل عام قامت المدرسة بتغيير تدريجي لتلبية احتياجات الطلاب. خلال هذا الوقت لم يُسمح لأي هنود كاليفورنيا في المدرسة.

في خريف عام 1963 تم إحياء الصفين التاسع والعاشر. أعاد شيرمان فتح باب التسجيل في القبائل الأخرى ، بما في ذلك القبائل الهندية في كاليفورنيا. انتقلت المدرسة مرة أخرى في اتجاه برنامج المدرسة الثانوية ، حيث أضافت درجة كل عام حتى بدأت المدرسة تخرج الفصول في عام 1966.

في عام 1967 ، تم اعتبار ثمانية مبانٍ غير قادرة على تحمل زلزال كبير. كان من آخر المباني التي تم هدمها مبنى المدرسة القديم في عام 1970. تم حفظ حجر الزاوية القديم من هذا المبنى ومحتوياته ووضعه في متحف شيرمان (المبنى الإداري القديم) ، آخر المباني الأصلية. في عام 1971 ، أعيد اعتماد شيرمان كمدرسة ثانوية ، وأصبحت تُعرف باسم مدرسة شيرمان الهندية الثانوية.

يضم المتحف سجلات من الأيام الأولى للمدرسة حتى الوقت الحاضر. يوجد هناك أكثر من 2000 عنصر أو قطعة أثرية مفهرسة من أصل هندي أمريكي. تم الحصول على هذه العناصر من أصدقاء المدرسة والمتحف. في عام 1974 ، تم تعيين متحف شيرمان الهندي كمعلم للتراث الثقافي على ضفاف النهر. تم إدخاله في السجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية في عام 1980.

في الوقت الحاضر ، تستضيف المدرسة شيرمان ما بين 300 إلى 500 طالب يأتون من حجوزات تمتد عبر الولايات المتحدة. يجوز لأي طالب هو عضو قبلي في قبيلة معترف بها اتحاديًا ولديه ربع دم على الأقل التقدم للحضور. يتم تمويل المدرسة بالكامل من قبل وزارة الداخلية الأمريكية ، ومكتب الشؤون الهندية ، ومكتب التعليم الهندي. الحضور مجانا.

تختلف أسباب مغادرة المنزل للمجيء إلى شيرمان. يذهب بعض الطلاب إلى SIHS لأنهم يعيشون بعيدًا جدًا عن المدرسة ، في المنزل ، للحضور يوميًا. يحضر آخرون SIHS لأن لديهم تجارب سلبية في مدارس غير السكان الأصليين ، وأكثر من عدد قليل منهم يحضر SIHS لمجرد كونه تقليدًا عائليًا.

قام شيرمان بفرض تخفيض في قوة الموظفين في ربيع عام 2009 ، بسبب قيود الميزانية. تم تسريح ما يقرب من 34 موظفًا. على الرغم من ذلك ، لا يزال أعضاء هيئة التدريس والموظفين في شيرمان يعملون لتوفير موقع آمن وصحي ومنتج لطلابهم الأمريكيين الأصليين. -ستيفاني ماشرش


مقاطعة ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا

ريفرسايد مقاطعة، كاليفورنيا هي واحدة من ثمانية وخمسين مقاطعة في ولاية كاليفورنيا. بناءً على تعداد 2010 ، فإن تعداد السكان كان 2،189،641 ، مما يجعلها رابع أكثر المقاطعات اكتظاظًا بالسكان في ولاية كاليفورنيا. ال مقاطعة مقعد هي ريفرسايد. كانت مقاطعة ريفرسايد شكلت 11 مارس 1893. تم إنشاء هذه المقاطعة من أجزاء من مقاطعتي سان دييغو وسان برناردينو و مشتق اسمها من مدينة ريفرسايد.
تقع مقاطعة ريفرسايد في منطقة ريفرسايد-سان برناردينو-أونتاريو ، كاليفورنيا متروبوليتان الإحصائية ، والمعروفة أيضًا باسم الإمبراطورية الداخلية. المقاطعة مدرجة أيضًا في Los Angeles-Long Beach ، CA Combined Statistical Area.

أصل الكلمة - أصل اسم مقاطعة ريفرسايد

تم إنشاء هذه المقاطعة من أجزاء من مقاطعتي سان دييغو وسان برناردينو واشتق اسمها من مدينة ريفرسايد ، التي تم تعميدها عندما وصلت القناة العليا لنهر سانتا آنا إليها في عام 1871.

التركيبة السكانية:

تاريخ مقاطعة ريفرسايد

مقاطعة ريفرسايد هي رابع أكبر مقاطعة في الولاية ، وتمتد على مسافة 200 ميل تقريبًا وتضم أكثر من 7200 ميل مربع من وديان الأنهار الخصبة والصحاري المنخفضة والجبال والتلال والسهول المتدحرجة. تشترك مقاطعة ريفرسايد في حدودها مع مقاطعات لوس أنجلوس وإمبريال وأورانج وسان دييجو وسان برناردينو المكتظة بالسكان. تمتد من ضمن 14 ميلاً من المحيط الهادئ إلى نهر كولورادو.

تأخذ المقاطعة اسمها من مدينة ريفرسايد ، وقد تم تشكيل المقاطعة في عام 1893 من جزء صغير من مقاطعة سان برناردينو وجزء أكبر من مقاطعة سان دييغو.

تمثل المقاطعة بداياتها السياسية في عام 1893 ، حيث تم احتلال الأرض قبل فترة طويلة من دخول الأوروبيين وأحفادهم إلى المناطق ، من قبل العديد من مجموعات الأمريكيين الأصليين بما في ذلك سيرانوس ، ولويسينوس ، وكوبينوس ، وشيموييفي ، وكاهويلاس. كان خوان باوتيستا دي أنزا من أوائل القوقازيين الذين سافروا عبر المنطقة ، حيث قاد رحلة استكشافية برية في عام 1774.

في أواخر القرن الثامن عشر ، بدأ آباء البعثة الإسبانية سان غابرييل (مقاطعة لوس أنجلوس) ، وسان خوان كابيسترانو (مقاطعة أورانج) ، وسان لويس ري (سان دييغو) في استعمار الأرض واستخدموا الوادي الداخلي تدريجيًا (في ما هو الآن) مقاطعة ريفرسايد الغربية) لتربية الحبوب والماشية. خلال هذه الفترة ، طالبت إسبانيا بكامل كاليفورنيا والمكسيك.

في عام 1822 ، ثارت المكسيك بنجاح ضد إسبانيا ، وأصبحت ولاية كاليفورنيا تحت الولاية القضائية المكسيكية. تم علمنة البعثات وأراضيها بداية من عام 1834 وتم نقل الأرض على أنها & quot ؛ منح & quot إلى سكان كاليفورنيا الذين كانوا من مواطني المكسيك. مُنحت أول منحة أرض في ما يعرف الآن بمقاطعة ريفرسايد ، رانشو جوروبا ، إلى خوان بانديني في عام 1838.

في عام 1848 ، مع توقيع معاهدة غوادالوبي هيدالغو ، أصبحت كاليفورنيا إحدى أراضي الولايات المتحدة ، وفي عام 1850 أصبحت كاليفورنيا ولاية. أدى هذا الحدث إلى تدفق مستمر من المستوطنين إلى المنطقة ، بما في ذلك عمال مناجم الذهب ورجال الأعمال والباحثين عن الصحة والمضاربين والسياسيين والمغامرين والباحثين عن الحرية الدينية والأفراد الراغبين في إنشاء مستعمرات مثالية.

في مايو 1893 ، وافق الناخبون الذين يعيشون داخل منطقة منحوتة من مقاطعة سان برناردينو (إلى الشمال) ومقاطعة سان دييغو (إلى الجنوب) على تشكيل مقاطعة ريفرسايد. في 9 مايو 1893 ، تشكلت المقاطعة رسميًا وبدأت في رسم مسار دراسي في ظل مجلس المشرفين المنتخب حديثًا. ارتبطت السنوات الأولى للمقاطعة بالصناعة الزراعية. ولكن سرعان ما انتشرت التجارة والبناء والتصنيع والنقل والسياحة. المساهمة بشكل كبير في النمو السريع للمنطقة.

جلبت السنوات الأخيرة نموًا سكانيًا كبيرًا إلى مقاطعة ريفرسايد. بين عامي 1980 و 1990 ، نما عدد السكان بأكثر من 76 ٪. مما يجعل ريفرسايد المقاطعة الأسرع نموًا في كاليفورنيا. بحلول عام 1992 ، كانت المقاطعة & quothome & quot إلى أكثر من 1.3 مليون نسمة. أكثر من مجموع سكان 13 ولاية ، من بينها مين ونيفادا وهاواي ونيو هامبشاير.

الجغرافيا: الأرض والمياه

وفقًا لما ذكره مكتب الإحصاء ، تبلغ مساحة المقاطعة الإجمالية 18،915 كيلومتر مربع (7،303 ميل مربع) منها 18،667 كيلومتر مربع (7،207 ميل مربع) أرض و 248 كيلومتر مربع (96 ميل مربع) ، أو 1.31٪ ماء. .

بعرض 180 ميلاً (290 كم) في البعد الشرقي الغربي ، مساحة المقاطعة ضخمة. غالبًا ما تستشهد وثائق حكومة المقاطعة ببلدة بليث الواقعة على نهر كولورادو على بعد & quot؛ ثلاث ساعات بالسيارة & quot؛ من مقر المقاطعة ، ريفرسايد. يرى البعض المناطق الواقعة غرب ممر سان جورجونيو كجزء من الإمبراطورية الداخلية من المقاطعة والجزء الشرقي إما صحراء موهافي أو جزء صحراء كولورادو. من المحتمل أن يكون هناك ثلاث مقاطعات جيومورفولوجية على الأقل: الجزء الغربي من الإمبراطورية الداخلية ، ومجتمعات جبال سانتا روزا ، والمنطقة الصحراوية. تشمل التقسيمات الفرعية المحتملة الأخرى الأراضي القبلية ومجتمعات نهر كولورادو ومغسلة سالتون.

تتكون منطقة Inland Empire في جنوب كاليفورنيا من الجزء الغربي من مقاطعة ريفرسايد.


تاريخ

يعد مسرح ريفرسايد فوكس ، المعروف الآن باسم مركز ريفرسايد فوكس للفنون الاستعراضية ، معلمًا تاريخيًا في مدينة ريفرسايد ، كاليفورنيا. تحتل مكانة هامة في تاريخ منطقتنا ، وسميت على اسم مؤسسها ، ويليام فوكس ، الذي فقد السيطرة على إمبراطوريته السينمائية في أوائل ثلاثينيات القرن الماضي ، ولكن إرثه لا يزال قائماً من خلال قائمة طويلة من شركات الترفيه المعروفة لدى فوكس.

يمثل الثعلب تاريخًا طويلًا من الثقافة والمجتمع في ريفرسايد. لعقود من الزمان ، كان مسرح فوكس ريفرسايد معلمًا محليًا لا يتجزأ في منطقة بها مجتمع غني ومزدهر ، وصناعة حمضيات مزدهرة ، ومنطقة حملت جاذبية كونها ملاذًا فاخرًا من لوس أنجلوس (أو محطة جميلة على الطريق بالم سبرينغز). تذكر العديد من القصص عمالقة المشاهير في عصر هوليوود القديم ، مثل جيمي ستيوارت وجودي جارلاند وبينج كروسبي ، الذين زاروا فوكس كضيوف! يتحدث العديد من المقيمين منذ فترة طويلة عن مغازلة أزواجهم في البداية في Fox ، أو مقابلة نجوم السينما المفضلة لديهم ، ويمكن للآخرين معرفة ما تعلموه عن عالم السينما في Fox.

تم إغلاق المسرح التاريخي لسنوات عديدة في أواخر التسعينيات ، حتى فترة تنشيطه ، التي امتدت من 2004 إلى 2010 ، عندما اشترت مدينة ريفرسايد المكان وتجديده ثم أعيد فتحه لاحقًا. كمسرح مملوك للبلدية ، فإن الثعلب ينتمي إلى المجتمع! تدار من قبل مشغل المسرح Live Nation تحت العلامة التجارية Riverside Live ، مع فوائد اقتصادية كبيرة لمنطقتنا من مجموعة واسعة من العروض وأحداث التذاكر الكبيرة. ومع ذلك ، فإن العروض والأحداث ليست دائمًا في متناول الجمهور.

في محاولة لإبقائها في المتناول ، في 16 ديسمبر 2008 ، رعت مدينة ريفرسايد تأسيس 501 (c) 3 المستقل كأساس لدعم مجتمعنا. توجد مؤسسة Fox Riverside Theatre لتوجيه الأموال الخيرية والرعاية للحفاظ على هذا المورد الثقافي ولتوفير برامج عالية الجودة للأجيال القادمة. بصفتها الأداة الخيرية لمركز فوكس للفنون الأدائية ، تجمع المؤسسة بشكل مستقل جميع أموالها الخاصة من خلال فريق من المؤسسات المانحة والمانحين وأعضاء مجلس الإدارة وشركاء البرنامج الدؤوبين.

تاريخ مركز فوكس للفنون المسرحية

بناء

افتتح مركز فوكس للفنون المسرحية (الثعلب) أبوابه لأول مرة في 11 يناير 1929 كدار سينما ومسرح فودفيل. في ذلك الوقت ، كان يُعرف ببساطة باسم & # 8220Riverside Theatre. & # 8221

1928 مسرح ويست كوست ريفرسايد قيد الإنشاء في عام 1928 ، والذي أصبح فيما بعد مسرح فوكس.
صورة من مجموعة فيرتشايلد

تم تصميمه من قبل المهندسين المعماريين في لوس أنجلوس كليفورد بالتش والمهندس فلويد إي.ستانبيري ، الفريق المسؤول عن العديد من المسارح 305 في سلسلة & # 8220West Coast Theatre & # 8221 ، وتم إنشاؤه بأسلوب إحياء المستعمرة الإسبانية الذي كان متناغمًا بشكل جميل مع جمالية عشرينيات القرن الماضي ورقم 8217 لمدينة ريفرسايد & # 8211 ولكن مع تصميم داخلي فخم على طراز فن الآرت ديكو كان يُعتبر ذروة الفخامة خلال تلك الحقبة ، مما يمنح المكان جوًا مزخرفًا وغريبًا. تم بناء المسرح بسعة 1،550 من قبل Abe و Mike Gore و Adolph Ramish و Sol Lesser ، الذين قاموا ببناء مسارح الحي هذه لمسارح الساحل الغربي في منطقة جنوب كاليفورنيا طوال عشرينيات القرن الماضي.

في عام 1928 ، باعت مجموعة West Coast Theaters حصة مسيطرة إلى William Fox من Fox Studios وأصبحت الشركة معروفة باسم Fox West Coast Theaters ، وبالتالي ولد اسم مسرح Fox Riverside. في حين أن هذا التحالف مع William Fox أنشأ نظامًا سلسًا للإنتاج والتوزيع لصناعة السينما ، كانت الشراكة مع Fox قصيرة الأجل بسبب لوائح مكافحة الاحتكار والصعوبات المالية الخاصة بشركة Fox & # 8217. دخلت شركته في الإفلاس في أوائل ثلاثينيات القرن الماضي ، وبعد ذلك أصبح المسرح تحت سيطرة Skouras Brothers في عام 1932 ، وأصبح جزءًا من سلسلة المسارح الوطنية ، وهي أكبر سلسلة مسرحية وأكثرها نجاحًا في تاريخ الولايات المتحدة. لكن الاسم والعلامة التجارية بقيا.

أهمية صناعة الأفلام & # 8211 موقع اختبار هوليوود

على الرغم من التغييرات في الملكية ، منذ افتتاحه في عام 1929 حتى الستينيات ، تم استخدام مسرح فوكس من قبل صناعة السينما التي تتخذ من هوليوود مقراً لها لعرض معاينات لإصدارات الأفلام المستقبلية قبل التحرير النهائي. كان ريفرسايد يعتبر موقعًا مفيدًا للمعاينة لأنه يمثل ديموغرافيًا مدينة صغيرة بأمريكا. من خلال معاينة إصداراتهم المستقبلية في ريفرسايد ، اعتقدت شركات الأفلام أن بإمكانهم تسجيل ردود الفعل على فيلمهم داخل الدولة & # 8217s الديموغرافية الأكثر مشاهدة ، دون الحاجة إلى السفر بعيدًا جدًا عن مكتب المنزل.

كان فيلم Riverside Theatre & # 8217s الافتتاحي ، الذي عُرض في 11 يونيو 1929 الظلال البيضاء في البحار الجنوبية ، بطولة مونتي بلو وراكيل توريس. ظهر بلو ، نجم سينمائي في تلك الحقبة ، شخصيًا للقاء وتحية الحاضرين ومناقشة الفيلم.

بعد حوالي عقد من الزمان ، في 9 سبتمبر 1939 ، ترك الثعلب بصمته في تاريخ هوليوود عندما أقام أول عرض عام للفيلم الكلاسيكي ، ذهب مع الريح. كما تقول القصة:

في 9 سبتمبر 1939 ، توجه Selznick وزوجته Irene والمستثمر John & # 8220Jock & # 8221 ويتني ومحرر الفيلم هال كيرن إلى ريفرسايد بكاليفورنيا لمعاينته في مسرح فوكس. كان الفيلم لا يزال قطعًا تقريبيًا في هذه المرحلة ، حيث فقد العناوين المكتملة ويفتقر إلى المؤثرات البصرية الخاصة. استمر لمدة أربع ساعات وخمس وعشرين دقيقة ، ولكن تم تقليصه لاحقًا إلى أقل من أربع ساعات من أجل إطلاقه بشكل صحيح. فاتورة مزدوجة ليالي هاواي و بو جيستي كان يلعب ، وبعد الفيلم الأول تم الإعلان عن أن المسرح سيعرض معاينة تم إبلاغ الجمهور أنه يمكنهم المغادرة ولكن لن يتم السماح لهم مرة أخرى بمجرد بدء الفيلم ، ولن يتم السماح بالمكالمات الهاتفية بمجرد إغلاق المسرح. عندما ظهر العنوان على الشاشة ابتهج الجمهور وبعد انتهائه لقي ترحيبا حارا. في سيرته الذاتية عن Selznick ، ​​كتب David Thomson أن استجابة الجمهور & # 8217s قبل الفيلم كانت حتى & # 8220 كانت أعظم لحظة في حياة [Selznick & # 8217s] ، أعظم انتصار واسترداد لجميع إخفاقاته & # 8221 ، مع وصف Selznick بطاقات المعاينة هي & # 8220 ربما أكثر الصور مدهشة على الإطلاق. & # 8221 سألته الصحافة hen Selznick في أوائل سبتمبر عن شعوره تجاه الفيلم ، فقال: & # 8220 في الظهيرة أعتقد أنه إلهي ، في منتصف الليل أعتقد أنه & # 8217s رديء. في بعض الأحيان أعتقد أنها & # 8217s أعظم صورة على الإطلاق. ولكن إذا كانت & # 8217s فقط صورة رائعة ، فسأظل راضيًا. & # 8221

الحرب العالمية الثانية والسنوات اللاحقة

ينام الجنود في مسرح فوكس خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية. في عام 1943.

خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، كان المبنى بمثابة مهجع مؤقت ، بعد أن ملأ الجنود من القواعد العسكرية القريبة المنطقة & # 8217s أماكن النوم المتاحة.

سمح المدير روي هانت للجنود بالنوم على السجاد السميك في الردهة والقاعة.

في عام 1942 ، قام مسرح فوكس بتحويل مسرحيته وغرف تبديل الملابس المحيطة به إلى مسرح ثانوي يتسع لـ 536 شخصًا يسمى & # 8220Lido ، & # 8221 والذي كان بمثابة & # 8220second-run & # 8221 فيلم House للصور الرئيسية. تضمنت التعديلات والإضافات على التصميم الأصلي المسرح الثانوي الصغير في منزل المسرح السابق ، والتعديلات على المسرح وتشطيبات جديدة مختلفة لامتصاص الصوت في القاعة. بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تضافرت العوامل الديموغرافية المتغيرة وثروات الأحياء المجاورة لتقليل صلاحية مسرح فوكس.

تجديد وترميم أمبير

بعد سلسلة طويلة من المالكين والمشغلين ، وسنوات من التدهور والانحدار ، تم إغلاق مسرح فوكس في النهاية لسنوات عديدة في أواخر التسعينيات.

تحولها إلى الجوهرة الجميلة التي هي عليها اليوم بفضل مدينة ريفرسايد ، التي استهدفت المكان باعتباره محورًا لمبادرة مدينة ريفرسايد & # 8217s للفنون والثقافة ، برنامج & # 8220Riverside Renaissance & # 8221. هذا الجهد الذي تبلغ قيمته 1.68 مليار دولار لإعادة بث الحياة والثقافة مرة أخرى إلى المعالم والأماكن في مدينة ريفرسايد قد ضُفِق 35 مليون دولار في تجديد وترميم المسرح بين عامي 2004 و 2010.

مركز فوكس للفنون المسرحية ، اليوم

خلال هذه الفترة ، اشترت مدينة ريفرسايد المكان وتجديده ثم أعادت فتحه لاحقًا ، من أجل إنشاء مرفق للفنون المسرحية في منطقة وسط المدينة للاستخدام المجتمعي. تم تغيير اسم مركز الفنون المسرحية الجميل هذا على أحدث طراز إلى مركز فوكس للفنون المسرحية ، مع إعادة افتتاح كبير مذهل في 15 يناير 2010 ، وليالي الافتتاح في 22 يناير و 23 أمبير ، مع أكثر من 1000 حفل وحشد جرامي- الحائزة على جائزة شيريل كرو.

اليوم ، تواصل مدينة ريفرسايد الحفاظ على ملكية هذا المكان الجميل ، وتوفر Live Nation مستوى مذهلاً من الدعم كمدير / مشغل لكل من مركز Fox للفنون المسرحية وشريك صناعي لمؤسسة Fox Riverside Theatre.


جبل روبيدو: تاريخ ريفرسايد (وكاليفورنيا) في مرمى النيران

في 26 أبريل 1907 ، أهدى القس توماس جيمس كوناتي & # 8220 بحضور العديد من الأشخاص ، & # 8221 كرس الأب جونيبيرو سيرا كروس على جبل روبيدو.

في 12 أكتوبر 1909 ، قام الرئيس تافت ، الذي كان يعاني من السمنة المفرطة بالخروج بسهولة من سيارة يقودها إلى قمة جبل ريفرسايد ، بسحب الحبل ، وكشف النقاب عن لوحة تقول ، & # 8220 بداية الحضارة في كاليفورنيا & # 8230 Fr. جونيبيرو سيرا. الرسول. منشئ المشرع & # 8221

هذه اللوحات وما يحتفلون به ، بما في ذلك صليب سيرا نفسه ، هي جزء من تاريخ ريفرسايد وكاليفورنيا.

الآن ، من أجل تجنب رفع دعوى قضائية ، قد يبيعها ريفرسايد لمن يدفع أعلى سعر.

عندما تم تثبيت الصليب ولوحة Taft ، كان Mount Rubidoux ملكية خاصة. أصبح الجبل حديقة عامة في عام 1955 وأصبح ريفرسايد وكيله. الآن ، يبدو أن المدينة عازمة على التخلي عن هذه الثقة لأن كيانًا سعيدًا بالبدلة يجادل بأن الصليب المملوك للمدينة يروج لدين معين.

هذا كلام فارغ. الأمر & # 8217s لا يتعلق بالدين. إنه & # 8217s حول التاريخ ، تمامًا مثل La Purisima Mission المملوكة للدولة الآن ، المنقطة بالصلبان ، وهي تاريخ كاليفورنيا. لمجرد أن Mount Rubidoux أصبح الآن ملكية عامة ، لا يعني ذلك & # 8217t أنه يجب تدمير صليب مهم تاريخيًا أو نقله أو بيعه. يجب الحفاظ عليها وصيانتها والدفاع عنها في المحكمة إذا لزم الأمر.

& ldquo كان هاتفي يرن دون توقف ، وقال جورج فلاور ، prez أصدقاء جبل Rubidoux ، ومقدمي الرعاية من المتطوعين في الجبال و rsquos. & ldquo ومعظم الذين يدعون لا يذكرون الدين. يتحدثون عن تاريخ ريفرسايد وما يعنيه (الصليب) للمدينة لأنه كان هناك منذ فترة طويلة. & rdquo

قال معظم الناس ، زهرة ، & ldquorefer إليها باعتبارها & lsquoour الجبل. & rsquo و rdquo و rdquo الجميع و rsquos. بغض النظر عن الدين.

لقد عانى هذا الصليب ، بشكل ما ، منذ إدارة تيدي روزفلت. إنه ليس نكهة الشهر. إنه يسبق (إلى حد بعيد) أحدث أبطال التعديل الأول. على الرغم من ارتفاعه ، إلا أن الصليب متجذر بعمق في نسيج فريد من نوعه ، أي بكلمة ريفرسايد.

بالنسبة للبعض ، الصليب يكون رمز ديني لا شك فيه. يعود تاريخ خدمة شروق الشمس في Mount Rubidoux Easter & # 8212 الأقدم في الولايات المتحدة & # 8212 إلى عام 1909 واستمرت خلال حربين عالميتين ، الكساد الكبير ، والاضطرابات العرقية ، والزلازل ، وفيتنام و 9/11. المزيد من التاريخ.

حقيقة أن it & rsquos أخيرًا في تقاطع شخص و rsquos ليست مفاجأة. ماذا او ما يكون من المثير للدهشة أن المدينة تلقت خطاب الطلب من منظمة الأمريكيين المتحدون لفصل الكنيسة والدولة ومقرها العاصمة في أغسطس وأخبرت فقط الزملاء ، بما في ذلك جورج فلاور ، الأسبوع الماضي.

هل هو & ldquosed law & rdquo أن المدينة تستطيع & rsquot امتلاك الصليب؟ If the city sells, will that be the end of it? The city attorney says yes. But a Pepperdine U. law prof told the paper just selling the cross might not do the trick. Too clever? Too gimmicky? تتحدى! The city should come out swinging instead of opting for technical compliance that might not even work.

Some who&rsquove called George Flower have offered strikingly simple solutions: &ldquoIf people didn&rsquot like it, they could look the other way.&rdquo

But these days, people look for a fight. Now they&rsquove got one, and it should only end one way:


Masonry has been a predominant factor in the history of the City of Riverside from its infancy, as with the founding of our Country.

For all practical purposes, Riverside's origin dates from September 1870, when John W. North and perhaps not more than twenty families, arrived in this area and purchased approximately 8,000 acres of land, under the name of Southern California Colony Association. This land was the heart of what was later known as the City of Riverside. Within nine years, the area had been surveyed, the city named, and the initial steps taken to form the first Masonic Lodge.

By 1925 we find a City of about 26,000 people, which already had in existence: Evergreen Lodge No. 259, F. & A. M., chartered in 1880 Riverside Chapter No. 67, Royal Arch Masons, chartered in 1886 Riverside Commandery No. 28, Knights Templar, charter granted in 1887 Ungava Chapter No. 106, Order of the Eastern Star, instituted in 1890 and the Order of the Amaranth, Magnolia Court No. 51, chartered in 1924.

At that time (1925) Evergreen Lodge had about 500 members and there were discussions among the Sojourning Masons about establishing a second Lodge in the City. Under the able director of Wor. Bro. Henry D. French, for many years Inspector of the Masonic District, and a group of Masons, most of whom had their memberships in Eastern Lodges, organized what is now Riverside Lodge No. 635, F. & A. M. On January 20, 1926, twenty-eight Brethren, reognizing each other as Master Masons, met at Reynolds Hotel (9th Street and Orange) at High Twelve to take measures necessary to establish a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in the City of Riverside, California. After luncheon they repaired to the Sun Parlor. Bro. William Cyrus Gunnerson was called to the Chair and Bro. Joseph Shipp Bordwell was elected Secretary. Riverside Lodge was selected as the name. (Actually, preliminary meetings had been held as early as October 21, 1925, in the upstairs room of the Palace Cafe, 757 West Seventh street, in Riverside, At a meeting on October 28, 1925 an election was held for the three principle offices of the new Lodge. Those elected were: Bro. William C. Gunnerson, Master, Bro. Henry W. Coil, Senior Warden and Bro. Lewis Edwin MacEwen, Junior Warden. On December 16, 1925 Bro. MacEwen withdrew as Junior Warden and Bro. Guy S. Harts was elected.)

A Petition for Dispensation to the Grand Master of Masons in California - the Most Worshipful Albert E. Boynton - was prepared and signed by the brethren. A fee of $75 was required to accompany the Request for Dispensation. This amount was raised by an initial contribution of $4.50 by each of the Brethren. Demits were ordered from each Brother. These 28 Brethren were from 22 different Lodges, from 15 different States and Mexico. These States were: Massachusetts, Tennessee, Alabama, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, South Dakota, Kansas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Washington and California (six were from Evergreen Lodge).

The Brethren met weekly at the Reynolds Hotel until on February 25 arrangements were completed with Evergreen Lodge to meet in the Masonic Temple on Thursdays for business and practice. Evergreen Lodge supported the new Lodge and assisted the officers by coaching and otherwise in perfecting the organization of the new Lodge. A Petition was served on Evergreen Lodge by Bro. Henry Coil on January 23, 1926, to officially inform them that a new Lodge was being formed in the area. Evergreen Lodge at their meeting of February 5, 1926, decided to endorse and support the new Lodge in all respects.

On March 12, 1926, the Officers of the new Lodge to be formed were invited by Evergreen Lodge to confer the First Degree on three candidates. The Master and each Warden conferred one of the Degrees. On March 17, 1926, they attended a School of Instruction by Wor. Bro. Baker, Grand Lecturer. The next day Wor. Bro. Henry French, Inspector of the 98th Masonic District issued certificates of qualifications for the Master and each Warden, and sent the Request for Dispensation to the Grand Secretary, to be laid before the Grand Master.

The Grand Master would not accept Bro. Joseph S. Bordwell's demit from Sonora, Mexico, except when applying for affiliation. Bro. Bordwell resigned as Secretary and Bro. Raymond P. Allen was elected to replace him.

The Grand Master, the Most Worshipful Albert E. Boynton signed the Dispensation on March 20, 1926, and ordered Wor. Bro. Henry French to institute the new Lodge, to be called Riverside Lodge. On March 25, 1926, the Brethren assembled in the Riverside Masonic Temple at 7:30 p.m. where Wor. Bro. French was present and who proceeded to Institute the new Lodge. The Grand Master's Dispensation was read and in accordance with the authority vested by the instrument, the Inspector invested the following Brethren with jewels of their offices:

  • يتقن: Bro. William Cyrus Gunnerson
  • Senior Warden: Bro. Henry Wilson Coil, Sr.
  • Junior Warden: Bro. Guy Sylvester Harts
  • Treasurer: Bro. Raymond Treat Sullivan
  • Secretary: Bro. Raymond Philip Allen
  • Senior Deacon: Bro. Andrew Watson Wade
  • Junior Deacon: Bro. John Henry Prater
  • Marshal: Bro. Fred Lee McEuen
  • Steward: Bro. Rich Kay Craig
  • Steward: Bro. Claude Theodore Chamberlain
  • Tiler: Wor. James Percy Robeson

The first Stated Meeting under the Charter as Lodge No. 635, Free and Accepted Masons, was held on Thursday, November 4, 1926, in Riverside Masonic Temple, now called Evergreen Temple, on 11th street in Riverside.

The first annual Installation of Officers after receiving our Charter was held January 20, 1927, with Wor. Bro. Oakley K. Morton, Inspector of the 102nd Masonic District as Installing Officer.


History of Riverside, California - History

An outline of the church history of Riverside demands recording, although those looking for details may need to seek them in the records of the different organizations. There were representatives of different denominations among the pioneers, but these subordinated their denominational prejudices to secure the building of a place for worship, and the first religious body in the colony was organized as the First Church of Christ of Riverside. Its actual members were, however, of the Congregational faith. Recognizing the commercial value of churches and schools as an inducement to the more desirable class who might be seeking a new home, the original colony managers gave the land at the corner of Sixth and Mulberry streets upon which to erect the first little white church, with its tiny spire, and also contributed toward the fund for its construction. For years this Union church provided for the religious needs of the settlers, and only when the growth of the settlement gave strength to the various denominations did the work of segregation commence, which in recent years has given the city thirty or forty branches of the Christian church. Of the seven original members of this first church, organized in 1872, only one, Miss Nancy M. Burt, has remained a permanent resident of Riverside. In 1886 the church was reorganized and incorporated as the First Congregational Church of Riverside. In the same year the original church building and lot were traded to the Christian Church people in exchange for the lots at the corner of Seventh and Lemon streets, where was built in 1887 the larger wooden Congregational church building which they occupied for twenty-five years. This contained the first pipe organ used in the city. This structure was torn down in 1912 to give place to a large and magnificent cathedral like structure of the Spanish renaissance style of architecture. This building, with its adjacent parsonage, grounds and equipment, will have a value of fully $125,000.

The pastors who have had charge are: Rev. I. W. Atherton, three years Rev. F. H. Wales, one year Rev. W. H. Cross, sis years Rev. George L. Smith, one year Rev. T. C. Hunt, eleven years Rev. Edward F. Goff, eleven years Rev. J. H. McLaren, two years Rev. Horace Porter, three years. Revs. Ralph B. Larkin, Z. B. Burr, C. J. Hutchins and George Lyman have supplied the pulpit in times of vacancy.

First Methodist Episcopal Church. A small class of Methodists was formed in Riverside as early as 1872, which held occasional services thereafter in the school house, Rev. W. A. Knighten preaching a monthly sermon before it during the summer. In 1873 the conference made Riverside a missionary station and appropriated $300 for its support. A regular church organization was effected January 10,1874, largely through the efforts of Rev. M. M. Bovard. In 1875 lots were purchased on the corner of Sixth and Orange streets, where successive building operations have marked the steady growth of the church in numbers and wealth, from the time when seven members represented the entire strength of the denomination to the present day, when the First church alone has a membership of some 900, and sister churches are required to shelter those who cannot be accommodated here. The first building erected was a little 24x36 brick chapel, the material and labor required for its construction being practically all given by the enthusiastic members and friends. The large and beautiful church, with all its modern conveniences, which by successive enlargements has become one of the most attractive in the city, has so incorporated this original building that its identity is almost lost. The pastors who have occupied the pulpit since the organization of the church by Dr. Bovard are: Rev. W. J. White, Rev. J. L. Mann, Rev. F. D. Bovard, Rev. William Dixon, Rev. C. H. Lawton, Rev. M. F. Colburn, Rev. A. W. Bunker, Rev. C. E. Shelling, Rev. Selah W. Brown, Rev. D. H. Gillan, Rev. William Sterling, Rev. Dr. W. A. Wright, Rev. Dr. A. C. Williams, Rev. B. C. Cory, Rev. B. S. Haywood, Rev. E. J. Inwood, Rev. Robert S. Fisher, Rev. Dr. A. W. Adkinson and Rev. L. D. Van Arnam.

The First Baptist Church was organized in February, 1874, the charter members being Mr. and Mrs. D. C. Twogood, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Roe, T. J. Wood, D. A. Coddington, and Rev. and Mrs. M. V. Wright. Messrs. Twogood and Roe were chosen the first deacons, and the former continued to hold the position continuously for some thirty-eight years. Two of the charter members, Mrs. Roe and Mrs. Wright, are still active members. For several years they had no minister, and united with the Congregationalists in the Sunday service. From an original membership of nine the church has grown until in 1912 it has 552 members. The church finally purchased desirable lots on the corner of Eighth and Lemon streets and in 1882 built upon these a church of their own at a cost of $6000, in which they worshiped for some eighteen years. This property was finally sold for business purposes and the building moved to the corner of Ninth and Lemon streets, upon which corner in 1909 the old building was replaced by a beautiful new church, equipped with everything required by a large and growing organization. The property is valued at about $50,000. The following is a list of the pastors, with date of installation: Rev. M. V. Wright, 1874 Rev. M. Fobes, 1878 Rev. Charles Button, 1880 Rev. Charles Winbigler, 1889 Rev. George A. Cleveland, 1894 Rev. Dr. W. F. Taylor. 1899 Rev. W. L. Tucker, 1906 Rev. G. F. Holt, 1907.

Magnolia Presbyterian Church. The first Presbyterian church was organized November 9, 1879, with the following charter members: Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Crosby, Mrs. James H. Benedict, Alice Benedict, Mrs. E. Rudisill, Mr. and Mrs. D. W. McLeod, Mrs. M. A. Evans and Mrs. M. C. Evans. The first trustees were: S. C. Evans, J. H. Benedict, A. S. White, C. A. Crosby and H. J. Rudisill.

Land was purchased at the head of Magnolia avenue and n church erected upon it in 1880, at a cost of $6,000. The first ministerial supplies were Rev. A. Q. Lane, Rev. J. H. Clark, Rev. Ira M. Condit. Regular pastors: Rev. J. A. Merrill, Rev. H. B. Gage (18861900), and Rev. D. L. Macquarrie (incumbent).

All Souls' Universalist Church was founded by Rev. Dr. George H. Deere, in July, 1881. Its services were first held in the Citrus Fair pavilion, and afterward in a little church extemporized from a discarded school building located on Market street near Seventh. In 1891 land was bought at the corner of Seventh and Lemon streets, where the society built the elegant little stone church and parsonage which it has since occupied. The more conspicuous of the lay members who aided in the completion of these buildings were Albert S. White, William Finch, Seneca LaRue, Dr. John Hall, Aberdien Keith, K. D. Shugart and William P. Russell. There was an original membership of fifteen, which had grown to 162 in 1912.

The pastors who have served are: Rev. Dr. Deere (thirteen years), Rev. Charles A. Garst, Rev. Elmer C. Andrus, Rev. Andrew W. Cross, Rev. Herbert E. Benton and Rev. F. L. Carrier. All Saints' Protestant Episcopal Church. Among the earliest of the religious services held in Riverside was that at which Rev. Charles F. Loup officiated in June, 1871. In the fall of the year following Bishop Kip visited Riverside and held a service. From this time services were occasionally held by the Rev. Mr. Loup and Rev. Mr. Wilson. These meetings were sometimes held in the Congregational church and for a time in the Sixth street school house. During these years Riverside was a part of the San Bernardino mission. In October, 1884, the mission was formally organized into a parish having the name of All Saints' Protestant Episcopal Church of Riverside. The first vestry elected included: Messrs. E. G. Brown, J. D. Brownlee, E. J. Davis, W. A. Hayt, John Jarvis, W. P. Lett and 0. Papineau. Other active members whose names appear at this period were Dr. A. H. Woodill, B. B. Wright, L. M. Holt and Dr. Jenkins. The services were evidently irregularly held owing to the difficulty of securing a permanent pastor.

In January, 1887, the Rev. B. W. R. Taylor accepted the rectorship and in the June following the cornerstone of a church was laid on the church lot at Tenth street, between Orange and Lemon. Soon afterward a rectory was built on the same property, and in recent years a parish house for the use of the Sunday school and other parochial organizations has been added. The clergymen who served the parish after Mr. Wilson were: Rev. S. Gregory Lines, Rev. C. S. Frankenthall and Rev. J. D. H. Brown. Rev. Mr. Taylor resigned charge of the parish in August, 1891, and in the following January was succeeded by the present rector, Rev. M. C. Dotten. The membership at the present time is 250.

The New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian) Church of Riverside was organized May 17, 1885, with thirty members. Rev. Berry Edmiston was its only pastor during the twenty-seven years of its history, resigning but a short time before his death, which occurred August 6, 1912. He was a man respected and loved by all who knew him, and the record of a town for whose moral upbuilding he so faithfully worked would be incomplete which did not refer to his character as a citizen as well as to his service as a Christian minister. This church first held its services in a building on Central avenue, which had formerly been used for school purposes by the Sunnyside school district. In 1903 a new church edifice was built for their use in a more convenient location, on Locust street, between Sixth and Seventh. The present membership of the church is forty.

The First Christian Church of Riverside was organized October 7, 1885, with thirty charter members. They first purchased land upon the southwest corner of Seventh and Lemon streets, but later traded this for the old Congregational building at Sixth and Vine streets, where they worshiped until 1904. They then secured land for a new church at the corner of Seventh and Lime streets, and moving their old building, incorporated it in the fine large edifice in which they now worship, having a capacity of nearly 800. The church membership has grown until it numbers 617, and the Sunday school, of which M. D. Haskell is the superintendent, has an enrollment of 540. The pastors have been: Rev. Irwin West, Rev. Hiram Conwell, Rev. Cal. Ogborn, Rev. William Sumpter, Rev. M. J. Ferguson, Rev. A. B. House, Rev. George Ringo and Rev. G. M. Anderson.

Calvary Presbyterian Church. The inconvenience of attending service at the Magnolia Avenue Church, three or four miles away, led the increasing number of Presbyterians located in the "mile square" to organize in June, 1887, the Calvary Presbyterian Church. Its charter members were: Mrs. Gage (senior), Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Gage, Miss Margaret Gage, Mrs. Campbell, Mrs. Mary C. Mann, Mrs. I. S. Murray, Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Craft, Miss Margaret Spooner, Robert Gage, Mrs. Mattie Sears, Mr. and Mrs. D. J. McLeod, Mrs. Kate Hunter, W. J. Wallace, Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Wilbur, Mrs. A. D. Place, John Shiels, Charles Shiels, Miss Isabelle Ross, Miss Jennie Wright and Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Spence.

The little congregation at first worshiped in what is now a storeroom in the Odd Fellows' Building then for a time in a building north of where the Loring Block now stands then in the Citrus Fair pavilion, and finally, while their church was being built, in the original Y. M. C. A. building in the Glenwood Block. Rev. Dr. J. B. Stewart supplied the pulpit at this time. The first elders were Robert Gage and W. J. Wallace.

Land had meanwhile been purchased at the corner of Ninth and Lime streets, and here was at last erected the convenient and beautiful building in which they have since worshiped. The church has now a membership of 590 and is in a flourishing condition, but at the time when a church alone was being provided success would have been long deferred had not the effort had the most generous support of members and friends. Among those whose liberal assistance deserves especial remembrance are Matthew Gage and Mrs. Gage, the latter presenting the pipe organ as her share, while W. John Gage lent most valuable aid for years as leader in the department of music.

Only five pastors have served during the twenty-five years of the life of the church, these being Rev. Dr. Stewart, Rev. R. H. Hartley, Rev. W. J. Arnold, Rev. Alex. Ekin and Rev. Dr. W. A. Hunter.

St. Francis de Sales Church was at first a mission of the San Bernardino church, started in 1888 by Rev. Father Stockman, a pioneer priest of California. The church is located on the city block bounded by Twelfth, Thirteenth, Lime and Mulberry streets. This block was donated for church, school, convent and hospital purposes by Mrs. Hattie Traver, a pioneer citizen of Riverside. The Catholics believe that there is " no true education without religion," and they are planning to erect first a parochial school on their property and next a church building which shall "imposingly represent Catholic endeavor in Riverside." One hundred and seventy-five English and 450 .Spanish speaking families are represented in the congregation. The Catholic Indians are cared for in a mission chapel near Sherman Institute, and the church itself maintains missions at Crestmore, Casa Blanca and Spanish Town. The resident pastors have been Rev. J. McCarthy, 1893 Rev. M. Conneally, 1898 Rev. S. F. Cain, 1905 and the present incumbent is Rev. Peter H. McNellis.

Trinity English Lutheran Church was organized January 7, 1894, with a membership of twenty-six, which number has since increased to eighty. It meets for worship in a pretty building at the corner of Walnut and Ninth streets, which was completed and dedicated September 5, 1901. The pastors who have had charge of the parish are: Rev. J. S. Moser, 1893 Rev. George H. Hillerman, 1896 Rev. A. E. Dietz, 1904 and the present incumbent, Rev. R. W. Mottern, 1909.

Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Eden Church was organized September 28, 1888. It has a present membership of 135. A church building was erected for its use on the corner of Tenth and Orange streets in 1891, and a parsonage built on the lot adjoining some years later. Among the more prominent of its earlier members were Ernest Carlson, Swan Johnson, Carl Carlson, N. P. Benson, Carl G. Engborg, William Johnson and Edwin Chelson. The first pastor was Rev. N. G. Brandelle, and among his successors are Dr. Edward Nelander, Rev. 0. N. Glim, Rev. K. G. Peel, Rev. A. N. Le Veau, Rev. N. A. Nordstrom, and the present pastor, Rev. L. M. Dahlsten.

There is also a mission church of the German Lutherans who meet in the Adventist church on Twelfth street on the second and fourth Sundays of each month. Rev. Louis Achenbach is the acting pastor.

Grace Methodist Episcopal Church. The organization of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of Riverside had its inception at a meeting held October 15, 1907, and its legal incorporation was effected November 19 of the same year. At the outset it had 189 members on its roll, and its present membership is 393. Its first Sunday service was held October 4, 1907, in a little mission chapel at the junction of East Eighth and High streets, owned at the time by the First Methodist Episcopal Church, and which it subsequently purchased. The lots upon which the chapel stood had been donated by C. F. Marcy, and another was subsequently acquired, giving a building site 180x185 feet in area. Plans for building were promptly arranged, and on December 6, 1908, the present church building was dedicated, practically free from debt. The church has prospered under the pastorate of Rev. W. C. Geyer, who has had charge during its entire history, but who now gives place to the new appointee of the conference, Rev. D. B. Loofburrow.

The First United Brethren Church of Riverside was among the earlier churches organized. It now has a membership of 216, and a church and parsonage located on East Eighth street, near Park. The church has a seating capacity of 500, and the whole property a value of about $20,000. Rev. W. H. Blackburn is the present pastor.

The First Church of Christ, Scientist, was organized in July, 1889. It built upon the corner of Sixth and Lemon streets, in 1900, a beautiful church of the mission style of architecture, at a cost of over $15,000, which was furnished and dedicated free from debt. The members claim that here was the first place in Southern California where Christian Science was publicly introduced and classes instructed in the tenets of the denomination.

The Second Church of Christ, Scientist, of Riverside, was regularly incorporated in April, 1893. The first public service was held May 10 in a dwelling house at No. 560 Seventh street, the reading room being located in the same building. In January, 1904, Leighton Hall was secured for the services, and the reading room was removed to the Glenwood Block, corner of Sixth and Orange streets, in April of the same year. In October, 1905, the Universalist Church was secured for a place of meeting. In December, 1907, plans were accepted for a church to be located at the corner of Eleventh and Lemon streets, and in May, 1908, the first services were held in the new church. Since January, 1912, the reading room has been located in the Glenwood Block on Main street. The church has had a steady growth from the time of its organization.

أرلينغتون Methodist Episcopal Church was formed March 22, 1893, by some thirteen citizens who found the distance to the First Church at Riverside a bar to regular attendance. A Sunday school had existed for some three years previous, with Rev. Alfred Ramey as superintendent, C. H. Ormsby, assistant, and Chester Crosby, secretary. A small church was built in 1907, but the rapid growth of the congregation made necessary a larger building, and in 1908 land was purchased on the corner of Magnolia avenue and Castleman street, upon which a more pretentious edifice was erected. The church now has a membership of 215, a large Sunday school, and a well located property worth over $11,000. The pastors who have served are: Rev. A. Ramey, Rev. E. Hoskyn, Rev. L. D. Loyd, Rev. C. J. Miller, Rev. W. G. Cowan, Rev. T. D. Ashleigh, Rev. W. C. Dane, Rev. F. L. Buckwalter, Rev. George Baffin and Rev. A. J. McKenzie.

Highgrove Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in October, 1890. It had only six charter members, but now has a membership of 149. The society built a parsonage in 1891 and a church in 1892, the latter being enlarged in 1904. The pastors have been Rev. J. C. Gowan, Rev. E. Hoskyn, Rev. C. J. Miller. Rev. E. W. Pasco, Rev. L. D. Loyd, Rev. F. A. Leak, Rev. S. M. Chase, Rev. W. G. Cowan, Rev. H. H. Baker, Rev. F. P. Sigler and Rev. S. A. Smith.

The African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1893, with only three members, but it now has sixty. Its place of worship is at the corner of Tenth and Sedgwick streets. Its pastors have been Rev. D. R. Jones, Rev. Halford, Rev. Johnson, Rev. S. E. Arrington, Rev. Kennedy, Rev. J. Holmes, Rev. J. II. Wilson, Rev. G. W. Bussey, Rev. W. H. Williamson and Rev. S. E. Edwards.

The Second Baptist Church (African) was organized in 1892, with thirteen members, and now, 1912, has 135. The ministers who have had charge are Rev. John Clisby, Rev. Whitlock, Rev. J. W. Newby, Rev. S. H. Smith, Rev. Terrill, Rev. J. D. Gordon and Rev. F. W. Cooper. Its church is at No. 1162 Howard street.

The Arlington Christian Church was organized in January, 1905. Previous to this date the Rev. E. H. Gurley preached many sermons in this section of the city, and for a time the congregation met in a small frame building. It had at the outset only twenty-five members, but now has 150 and is one of the most prosperous of Riverside's churches. In 1912 it completed a handsome church building, constructed of cement blocks, and its property has a present value of $13,000. The pastors have been Revs. كال. Ogburn, W. T. Adams, W. J. Bottenfield, J. H. Hall, C. R. Moore, and the present incumbent, Rev. S. D. Perkinson.

The Free Methodist Church of Riverside was organized in 1907 with twelve members. It is located at No. 189 East Sixth street. Rev. J. B. Freeland was the first pastor, and he has been succeeded by Revs. A. C. Brown, S. F. Heilman and S. O. Yelvington, the last named having occupied the pulpit for three years.

The United Presbyterian Church was organized on April 12, 1905, and incorporated in the following November. It had an original membership of twenty-five, and its members in 1912 number eighty-two. It has a church property valued at $12,000, located on the corner of Orange and Lemon streets, which was dedicated in October, 1906. The church has no permanent pastor, but the pulpit has been supplied by Rev. John M. Ross, D. D., Rev. W. F. Johnson and Rev. J. S. Coie. The Riverside Seventh Day Baptist Church was organized October 3, 1893, with an original membership of forty. It now has 105 members. The church is located at the corner of Park avenue and Fifth street. Rev. J. T. Davis was the first pastor, he being succeeded by the present incumbent. Rev. E. F. Loofboro.

In addition to the above, the religious needs of the city are cared for by the Seventh Day Adventists, who hold regular sessions in their church on Twelfth street, Elder Richardson being in charge in 1912. The Primitive Baptists, Elder A. V. Atkins, pastor, hold a monthly service in the same church. The Holiness Church meets at the corner of Ninth street and Park avenue, Rev. R. H. Amon, pastor. The Salvation Army has for years held services at various points in the city, Ensign Harris being in charge in 1912.

The Congregationalists maintain a Japanese mission school on Fourteenth street the Methodists a Japanese mission on Fifth street, and the Presbyterians two Spanish missions, one at Casa Blanca, and the other on Fourteenth street, Rev. Samuel Solomon having been in charge of both for years.


The Friends of California Citrus Park…

The Friends of California Citrus Park (Non-Profit Management Corp.) is the official non profit partner supporting the California Citrus State Historic Park.

We were founded 23 years ago to preserve the precious citrus history located on 400 beautiful acres of land located in Riverside, California. The Friends of California Citrus Park aims to support and operate the maintenance of the parks orange groves, citrus production, the Sunkist Center, amphitheater and group picnic event areas. We fundraise by hosting various special events throughout the year. All proceeds collected by the Friends of California Citrus Park support park maintenance, improvements, educational and interpretive programs.

On July 11, 2016 with the presence and support of Secretary of Natural Resources Secretary, John Laird , the Friends of California Citrus Park were presented with three very special acknowledgements. The first was a Certificate of Recognition from the City of Riverside. The second was a Proclamation from the county of Riverside. Lastly, a state of California Legislature Resolution. These three gifts are treasured and the Friends of California Citrus Park are committed to preserving the history of citrus, welcoming visitors from all over the world, and continuing to increase the park’s relevancy, visitation, and revenues.


شاهد الفيديو: California History: How did California become a State? (أغسطس 2022).